Re: HS S10 ZQB

To: Kent Rafferty <gs96@sgi.net>, AutoCross List <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HS S10 ZQB
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:17:30 -0800 (PST)
---Kent Rafferty <gs96@sgi.net> wrote:

> I think a hot pick-up in HS would be a neat idea but I wonder
> about the tip-ability of a pick-up on R-compound tires.  If Neons
> and BMWs can tip, what about a pick-up with a relatively high
> center of gravity?

It is a concern, but fwiw the ZQ8 package has a 2" drop vs. the
standard S-pickup.  I haven't eyeballed the S10 but most truck double
wishbone setups have a darn long effective swing arm, so the roll
center should drop at about the same rate as the CG in front.  That
should improve the margin of safety.

The bad ones for rollovers were the Ranger/Bronco II with the swing
axle front suspension.  Ugly high roll center, just like the rear axle
on Spitfires, Corvairs, and older VWs.  There are a couple of loons
running these in the Texas A&M SCC's "Truck Stock" class, and it's
unnerving to watch the front end jack up 4-5" in a slalom.  :-0

I'm intrigued by the HS truck idea.  I wonder if I can talk Capitol
Chevy into a long term Sunday test drive...

Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX