Re: Which radios to buy?

To: Fred Uptagrafft <fredonna@cswnet.com>
Subject: Re: Which radios to buy?
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:21:39 -0800
Hi, Fred

Red River Region recently converted to the new FRS radios as Alex
mentioned.  I agree with everything he said but I would like to throw
in a couple of caveats.

We went with the Radio Shack (made by Maxxon) 14-channel rigs.  Got
them for 80-bucks apiece.  They have much better range than the old 49
MHZ (also made by Maxxon) radios we had been using.  Battery drain is
practically nil, so you can use replaceable alkaline batteries for 2
or 3 events before you have to swap them out.

However, the audio amp in them is pretty weak.  You can't hear them
unless you have them relatively close.  And, if you have a loud
projecting voice like mine (25 years in radio news!!) you can't work
them closely.  If you do, everything you say is distorted.  I have to
work them with my mouth about 6-inches away from the radio to keep
from distorting everything I say.  And, you have to wait about a
second after you key them up before you start talking.  Otherwise, you
clip off the first couple of syllables of whatever you were trying to
say.

Other than that, they've worked great for us so far.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman