86 Corvette problem/question.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 86 Corvette problem/question.
From: carlc_1@juno.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:35:47 -0500
I have a 86 Corvette that I periodically run in S-Stock. Its got about
130,000 miles. I just recently had
to get it through emissions here in Florida. In order to do that, I had
to replace the following:

O2 sensor
IAC Motor (it was TOAST and XTRA Crispy)
EGR valve
ECM (kept saying it was the O2 fault - Service light).
NOTE: Car is completely STOCK, motor never opened.

After replacing all this, the car is able to pass emissions <yeah>. Now I
have a new problem,
The car on startup (hot or cold) idles at 1000 to 1200 RPM.  If you place
it in Drive and temp
is above 180F, in about 30 seconds, the idle will slowly move down to 600
RPM. If you
put it back in Neutral, it jumps back to 1000+.

Has anybody seen this problem where the motor idles at 1000+ (even
putting it in drive
for the first 10 seconds) then moves down (over 30 seconds) to 600 RPM???
I have looked
for vacuum leaks and don't believe its that. Shouldn't the car idle in
neutral at 700-600 and
600+/- in Drive???

Thanks in advance,
Carl