Re: turbo notes

To: rjbfspso@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: turbo notes
From: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:31:24 -0500

Bob Barone wrote:

>For those interested in more turbo trivia: the F1 turbo formula from the
mid
>to late '80's was only 1.5 liters!!!!! There is a copy of a research paper
in
>the SAE book "Design of Racing and High Performance Engines" about the
Honda
>motors. They claim the power of the 1987 motor was 750 kW (kilowatts?) at
>about 12,000 rpm!!! I'm not sure how that converts to horsepower but if
Fejda
>shows up with that much he can count on a rules change!!!!

Actually in early 80s while they had turbo engines there, they where making
slightly over 1000 HP during the race. For the training sessions power was
around 1200 HP! And that was from 1.5 liter engine. I think that RPMs where
more like 14,000!

So, since DSMs have 25% more volume, than those engines we should talk
about 15000 HP by the Nationals :)

Fedja