A/C in an MR2

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: A/C in an MR2
From: "Mari L. Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:54:14 -0500
The air conditioning in my MR2 is dead.  Given that I am in Pennsylvania
(not sunny California, Texas, Louisiana, or Florida), whether or not to
fix/recharge/replace is a valid question.

Since A/C was optional on the coupe from 1991-1993, and I have a '91 coupe,
my understanding is that I can
1) fix it
2) not fix it but take off the belts
3) not fix it and remove everything (condenser, compressor, belts, hoses,
etc.)

Question 1--have I read the rules right?  The above are my three options,
right?

Question 2--thoughts about what to do?  I know the resale issue (fix unless
I plan on selling this car to another Northern autocrosser), the cost issue
(don't fix, leave in, take off belts only).  What I'm curious about is the
weight issue (the condenser is in the front, where the MR2 is a little
lighter, and the compressor is with the engine in the middle of the car).
Will it matter performance-wise if I keep it or toss it?

Question 3--I haven't rechecked the original window sticker to find this
out (and I will), but I think it's a reasonable question anyway--what if
something on the car were optional, but came in a package from the dealer?
For instance, what if sunroof and A/C were always bundled?  Could you lose
the A/C (and not, obviously, the sunroof)?  Maybe this example would be
easier to think about--although more trivial--power windows and locks were
bundled in the "power package."  This package was optional.  If someone
chose to get rid of the power windows, would that be o.k., or would the
power locks also have to go?

As always, apologies in advance if this is a discussion that's gone on
before I joined the list (can you say, Subframe Connector?).

mlc

Mari L. Clements, Ph.D.
442 Moore Building/160 University Support Building 1
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-3104
(814)863-5664 fax--(814)863-5658 or (814)863-7002
http://www.personal.psu.edu/mlc4