Oil Filters

To: Beretta List <BerettaNet@onelist.com>,
Subject: Oil Filters
From: Rex Weatherford <rweatherford@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:47:26 -0500
I was wondering if anyone else out there has done any research on oil
and oil filters.

My filter studies over the last two days have directed me to this
document:

SAE Document

Document Number: J1858
                            Date Published: June, 1988
                            Title: Full Flow Lubricating Oil Filters
Multipass Method for evaluating
                            filtration Performance

                            Issuing Committee:
                            Filter Test Methods Standards Committee

                            Scope:
                            This standard establishes a multipass
filtration performance test with
                            continuous contaminant injection for
lubricating oil filter elements. It also
                            includes a procedure for determining the
contaminant capacity, particulate
                            removal characteristics, and pressure loss.
It also includes a test currently
                            applicable to lubricating oil filter
elements which exhibit a 10 um filtration
                            ratio of less than 75 and a rated flow
between 4 and 600 L/min. This
                            standard provides a test procedure which
yields reproducible test data for
                            evaluating the filtration performance of a
lubricating oil filter element.

I also see Mobil 1 point towards document j806.
Purolator points towards j1858 for multiple pass filtration

Are these the same tests at different dates?

Here are the filters results:

Mobil 1:  Single pass efficiency (SAE J806) of 98% vs. an 85% average
for conventional filters. * Multiple pass efficiency (SAE J806) of 95%
vs. an 80% average for conventional filters.

PureOne: Single Pass Test efficiency for the PureONE filter is 99.7%.
PureONE captures 96% of all contaminants as measured by the
Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) #J806
Multiple Pass Test. *

Hey look I think I may have answered my own question.  Both reference
j806.  Never noticed that before!

Anyone have comments or more information on filters or oils?  How much
does a Mobil1 filter cost.  The PureOne filter was $5.99 at PepBoys.

--
Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ 2.3 89,000 miles
#22 GS Atlanta Region SCCA Solo II G-Stock
95 Grand Am GT 3100 V-6 (can't get my wife to let me race it)
http://www.mindspring.com/~rweatherford/rexw/rexhome.html