Re: Solo 2 Schedule

To: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net, DirtyDogg1@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solo 2 Schedule
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 05:44:10 -0800 (PST)
---mikelowe@pop.c-com.net wrote:

>      Nitrous is never allowed in autocrosses.  Leave the bottle and
> as much hardware as possible at home.

Is it disallowed in Modified classes?  (Not that you would want to get
chopped to bits there anyway.)  It's probably a bad idea
regardless...first, the sudden nature of nitrous would be darn near
uncontrollable if the car is pointed anywhere but straight, and
second, losing fuel pressure in a corner even for a split second could
melt a piston.  It don't take much on spray...

>  I've seen a car get into an accident due to nitrous.  The
> NO2 kit made the throttle stick.  The bottle wasn't even in the car.
> Just bad hardware/installation.

Ugh.  Yes, it goes without saying, make absolutely sure there is no
freaking way that the N2O gear can hang up the throttle linkage.

> 17'' rims (and a set of 14's, to possibly hook up some big fat
> > hoosiers :).

Good idea.  Big street rims are heavy, and heavy rims are bad, m'kay?
:-)

>      Take a look at the rules for Street Touring.  Maybe
> you can change the car to fit those rules.  But not immediately.

You might not be real happy...ST requires an unmodified engine and
gearbox, including emissions gear.  Many local clubs have a "street
modified" class or the like that is essentially unlimited as long as
the car has DOT legal tires and is licensed for road use.  If you can
find one, that can be a good place to learn to handle the car...and
maybe get bitten by the bug and go looking for a stock car to compete
in.  :)

hth,
Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX