Re: Wheel size Rant (Cynical)

To: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel size Rant (Cynical)
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:03:59 -0800
Jamie Sculerati wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Jamie or Trisha Ridenour wrote:
>
> > Last year when I asked if I could run my wheels that were picked from a
> > HONDA brochure on a stand in the HONDA dealership in stock class I was told
> > no.  Why because they were 0.5" wider (5.5") than the steel wheels (5") the
> > factory put on, same diameter just wider.  Everyone who walked into a Honda
> > dealership that year had a shot to buy them but they're "dealer installed"
> > options so no go in stock.
> >
> > I say looks like a duck, walks like a duck, its a stock wheel.  They even
> > have HONDA wheel centers but NO not stock.
>
> I've gotten aftermarket wheels with Honda wheel centers before, so that's
> no help.  But if you can find a Honda stamping on the wheel, or find it in
> the factory parts book, I think you'd have a case for calling a stock
> wheel.  Worth a look....

No, it is NOT Stock-legal just because it has a Honda part number cast
into it. I can buy some very stiff motor mounts and suspension bushings,
larger intake manifolds, different intake camshaft, and several other
go-faster parts for my VW (Jetta GLI 16V) that are made buy VW and have
VW part numbers on them. Are they legal in Stock? Hell, no. If the
FACTORY didn't specify the car a particular way, then neither you nor
the dealer can make it that way after the fact and call it "stock." Not
legally.

This Honda wheel width issue is a bit of a sore subject for me. Cars are
classed based on their potential with FACTORY-supplied equipment. In
past years, I've protested one Honda outright for running with VW (6"
wide) rims, and kicked in money for a Nationals protest of two Hondas
running 5.5s. They're NOT legal, they've been protested and disqualified
numerous times, and they DO make a competitive difference.

The guy I protested for the 6" rims, and who had argued strenuously that
they provided no competitive advantage, put legal (5") ones back on his
car after the protest and went from finishing 1st-3rd in a hotly
contested Regional class to finishing no better than 5th for the
remainder of the year. He sold the car after that season. 'Nuff said.

Every bit of this discussion is quite clearly addressed in the rules.
Read 'em. And, better yet, FOLLOW 'em.

Jay Mitchell