Re: Round trip in a Lotus...was: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Round trip in a Lotus...was: R&T #3: The G-Force T/A R1
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:33:17 -0500
>Heck, you could have stopped at "you haven't lived until you drive 200-400
>miles round trip in a Lotus Europa."
>
>I don't trust my Lotus more than 50 miles from home anymore....   :)

What a bunch of whimps:-)

I drove my car from Calif to Kansas and back for the Solo II Nationals one
year (1982?), on its competition Yokohama A001Rs and finished 4th in AS.

Drove it from North Carolina to Kansas and back in 1986 and finished first
in ASP and in the Pro Solo class. The Hoosiers were carried in a different
car but they had been driven on for at least one 350 mile round trip to get
to/from a Divisional.

When I sold the car in 1996, the buyer drove it from Raleigh to Atlanta
with no problems! This car is the one featured in the Grassroots mid engine
comparison a year or so later.

My wife's car was her only car at one time and went up and down the West
coast and drove to and from Texas from California. On the return trip it
got so hot near Needles, CA (112 F) that the air from the dash vents was
too hot to blow directly on my face.

Not to say that some of these trips were without "incident or the need for
tools, knowledge, and/or spare parts" . . .

However, one advantage of driving your race car is that it is much more
likely to be in great shape and, if you are the mechanic, for you to know
how to fix it. Can't say that about our Dodge Van.

I have absolutely no intention of ever doing this sort of thing again! Age
may not have made me any wiser but it has made lazy and "comfort oriented"
and provided somewhat better finances (or credit rating) to pay for repairs.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford