*THWACK!* *THWACK!* ---> Type R dead horse

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: *THWACK!* *THWACK!* ---> Type R dead horse
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:31:50 -0500
Now that I've moved up into the lofty reaches of SP my dog is no longer in this
fight; but as someone who *actually crossed swords* with the hated & feared Type
R, I think my opinion has a certain validity.

In My Opinion, the Type R is a GS car. A very _good_ GS car to be sure, but
still a GS car.

There are those who point out that the car may have been undeveloped at Nats, I
respond by saying "so were the Talons" - our car had stock shocks, and it was
our second or third race on the 245s. As we raced it at Nats, the car was too
loose, bouncy, and it rolled like an old canoe. Mark Allan's car was a little
(lot?) better set up, but even then I know there was a lot of things,
setup-wise, that were still subject to debate. There's at _least_ another year
of development in the DSMs.

I note as well that Paul's "knife" comments notwithstanding, that the MX6 and
the V6 F bodies were still in the hunt. It's reasonable to assume that there may
still be some development space left in these cars as well. Just because the
establishment says your car sucks doesn't mean that it really does.

In short, the Type R has not been established as an overdog, and until (if ever)
it does, it should be left alone where it is, IMHO

Besides, the Type R is the natural enemy of the Talon, and the rivalry between
the two cars makes for great theater - and it draws into the SCCA people from
both camps who want to expound upon that rivalry. There's a reason my new
licence plate says "R EATER" :)

The late classing of the Type R last year is another matter, but that's a done
deal, and it doesn't invalidate the car's classing for this coming year.

DG

Note: There's at least one respectable GS shoe who's opinion differs; he feels
that the Type R belongs elsewhere. He has his opinion, I have mine, one of us is
right, and time will tell. I will say this though - I respect his opinion as
someone who has actually competed against the Type R a whole lot more than any
20 opinions formed from the sidelines.