Re: Fuel Cut off and Turbos

To: "Mac Crossett" <macross@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Cut off and Turbos
From: eharleq@selway.umt.edu
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 99 09:00:02 -0600
> I would say that
>removing a fuel cut based on air flow would be legal under the first
>sentence of 14.10.C "Carburetors, fuel injection, intercoolers and intake
>manifolds are unrestricted."
>
>Mac Crossett
>'96 Eagle Talon TSi AWD #49ESP

YOW!

As I and Mark Todd have pointed out now for a couple of years, the SP
turbo rules are a lot broader than many people understand. But the
argument above, and I do NOT know that supra, seems very clearly illegal
to me.

NOTHING in 14.10.c says removing a fuel cut is legal. It describes
essentially plumbing changes, not specific control changes. So, if the
pipe is limiting, you are legal to make it bigger or smaller as you
desire. If the rules do not specifically say an action is legal, then it
is not legal.

It says nothing about which type of sensor is used on the car because
that in itself is irrelevant to the argument. "Air flow" = boost, it
doesn't matter what type of boost control the car has, you are not
allowed to modify it in SP (unless it is a diameter restriction found
(like too small of an intercooler) in 14.10.4. As has been said a zillion
times here, if you can get more boost from a legal mod, that is great.
But, you can't make a non-covered mod.

Erik