Re: ABS facts and myths

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ABS facts and myths
From: Walter Fooshee <wfooshee@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 16:41:15 -0600
I'm fairly certain, (but not infallible, I have to admit), that the
system I was describing, sometime in the late 80s, was mechanically
triggered, as I described it. I clearly remember the article, but can't
locate it. There were no speed sensors, and a hydraulic differential was
the only trigger, and it was driven by wheel rotation. That's all I can
recall of how it worked. Perhaps I was misinformed, but then so would
have been a few million other readers. This was when ABS first began to
appear on the likes of Sunbirds and Cavaliers. Granted that's not
current technology, nor probably what's on cars now, but it points out
the GM philosophy of things, similar to putting driving lights on all
their cars for safety, when in reality it's so they only have to build
one North American wiring harness, or building 98% automatics vs. 2%
sticks (an exaggeration) and then saying they build more automatics
because it's what they sell more of.

Walter Fooshee
Dixie Region Probe GT