Re: Course designs

To: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Subject: Re: Course designs
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:45:45 -0600
Jamie Sculerati wrote:

> [...]

Agreed.  I'm looking at the question from a "being competitive" mode.
The course does need to be clearly defined so that it is obvious where
to go to stay on course.  Especially at the beginning of the season. :)
I will note however, that when a lot of people are going off, I find
that when asked, they admit they didn't walk the course at all, or maybe
once.  I try to make sure to tell all the novices as many times as I can
that it is *thier* responsibility to know exactly where the course goes,
from a competition and safety standpoint.

> >There is no way you are going to negotiate a course quickly if you do not
> know where you are going before >you get there.
>
> Quite true -- but there's a world of difference between negotiating a course
> quickly and negotiating it at all!  The fast line doesn't have to be (and
> probably shouldn't be) obvious, but the general path of the course better
> be -- otherwise, the course workers are afraid to get too far away from the
> light poles....

Light poles can be island of safety in a sea of chaos!  I guess my point
is don't blame your (not YOU, but a hypothethical you :) ) slow time on
the fact that a course might be complex.  I will re-phrase the comment:
While it is not necessary, it would be very beneficial to completly
memorize the course.   I personally like complexity, and you CAN have
complexity and drivers challenge in a course while also having it be
clearly defined.  They are not mutually exclusive.

Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese
95 DS Neon
Moooooooooo.