Re: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?

To: "H. Rodney Spear" <hrspear@coastalnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil brand & weight for occasional autoxing?
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:11:24 -0800
I've a Ford Mustang SVO 2.3 turbo myself, which I occassionally autocross.

I found out the hard way that 50 weight oil is really not for turbo cars --
blown front engine seals in my case -- and SVO-slash-turbo experts showed me
the light on this one.  And ours are water cooled (and likely yours is,
too).

Now I run 10W-30 here in Southern California, without oil problems (though
wasn't that blown head gasket fun to fix last week!).  Synthetic is
definitely the way to go on turbo oil, for reducing "coking" in the CHRA.
As for filters, personally I just stick with the name brands, and lately
have been running K&N.

>I've got a new Audi 4 cylinder turbo (the turbo is oil cooled) I was
planning on Mobil 1 15W50, but am now
>considering Redline as well.  Redline recommends 10W30 They discourage use
of their 15W50 or
>20W50 in cars whose oil temps are regularly below 225 F

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, CA