RE: sportscar48: Hype RE: Eric, jblanken

To: "'Heyward K Wagner'" <sportscar48@juno.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: sportscar48: Hype RE: Eric, jblanken
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 07:06:55 -0600

Huhh?, my ACR had plates and an inspection and was my daily driver.

> has not been allow before or sence.  The SCCA blew it by opening the
> door, but never before had really hot street cars been allowed in SS
> classes.
> Now, are the Protege's and other SS cars that were allowed
> the trunk kits
> available to the public, through dealerships, in the same
> form in which
> they
> are allowed to race?
>
> No but how many ACRs did you see in a showroom.  My understanding was
> that an ACR in most cases had to be ordered, just like the
> trunk kits do.

My ACR was bought off the lot, no ordering involved.

> No.  So, IMHO, the cars that were allowed trunk kits no
> longer meet the
> "spirit" or the letter of SS cars and should be ruled inelligible.

By definition, a trunk kit isn't show room stock.

> I totally agree, the spirit of SS is now long dead, it is just that I
> believe that started with the Neon and was finished by the trunk kits
> need to leval the playing field.  I know that the Neon did not get a
> trunk kit, but I think so more mods (exhaust for example)
> were allowed.

I don't understand the problem with the Neon, it's basically the stripped
model car with parts out of the higher-line model. The bigger radiator...
same part as any AC equipped Neon. The final drive, same as the base model.
The Twin-cam ACRs, have the same final drive, gearbox and engine (minus the
speed-limeter) that any twin cam neon has. The only real difference between
and ACR and the other Neons are a combination of options and slots in the
struts and stiff dampening from the factory. The newer ones have adjustable
shocks that most autocrossers would put on any stock car anyway.

By the way, someone mentioned the Sentra SE-R as being a special racing
package, it's far from it. It's just a high end Sentra (owned an SE-R also).
It could be a very competent autocrosser with new struts, though, however
the stock struts and shocks were very soft (I could easily bottom out the
suspension on my twisty road drive home).

----
John Steczkowski
Director of Software Engineering
Crossroads Systems, Inc.