Today's Tour Tidbits Three

To: autocross <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Today's Tour Tidbits Three
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:39:43 -0800
Weather: It started out an incredible day. Balmy blue skies, nice spring
air. Sometime around 10:00am the clouds started rolling in. We received
the smallest of drizzles/misting, but no showers to affect the runs.
What DID affect runs was that the temps dropped a lot and tires were
cold. Around noon, the temps started climbing back up. In the late
afternoon, the clouds moved on and we were back to sunny skies and
t-shirt weather.

A/S was interesting to watch. A relatively unknown (to most folks) from
the Las Vegas area had some great class leading times in a 94 Turbo MR2.
Tom Harrington's 60.9 time on his third run was the fastest in A/S. I
think each of his runs led the class. We later were treated to an
investigation of turbo boost levels in the MR2s at impound. ALL cars
passed. A/S also was very compressed with times around the 62 second
range.

C/S was interesting to drive in. For some reason, I had some trouble on
my first two runs. First, *almost* stopping for a course worker standing
right at the edge of the course...I should have stopped all the way and
pulled off course, as Kevin Bailey did for the same worker 10-20 seconds
before. My second run I missed a crucial 2-3rd shift and went into 1st
instead. Finally got a tentative clean run in on my last run. Oh well.
There is always tomorrow....

The course was fast and a lot of fun. I was in 3rd gear in my CS MR2
three times on each run. The Toyos were working much better than the
driver. 8)

We were treated to good pizza and sodas for lunch. Everything ran very
smoothly. A short break between heats, course worker switchouts, picking
up the cone audit sheets, impound..all ran very smoothly from what I
saw. In spite of the huge turn out, we finished up on time, before the
5:00pm driving curfew took affect.

Results from Saturday: (sorry, I didn't get times or cars)

SS 26 drivers
Jeff Cawthorne Corvette
Tom Kotzian RX7tt
John Hayes RX7tt