Re: Prepared Question

To: "Rich Urschel" <osp13@ibm.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepared Question
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:48:00 -0600
Rich stated:

>I find myself mysteriously unable to determine if head porting
is
>allowed in the Prepared Category section of the 1999 Solo Rules.

Interesting you should bring this up. I read all the engine rules
in P, and I couldn't find any allowance for porting.

>Then we have the blanket counter statement for engine parts:
>15.10 Engine and Drive Train
>     A. Component Modification
>        1.  Original and alternate components of the engine may
be
>            ligtened, balanced, and modified by any mechanical
or
>            chemical means, provided that it is always possible
>            identify required components as original.

I hadn't noticed that, however. I'd say that porting is "modified
by any mechanical or chemical means," wouldn't you?

>Then we have a section on the head itself:
>15.10.H Cylinder Head
>        1. The original or a specified alternate cylinder head
shall be
>           used. Any valve guides and valve seats may be used.
>        2. Compression ration may be altered by machining, using
any
>           head gasket(s) or elimination of head gasket(s).

>So is the cylinder head a component under 15.10.A.1?

It would have to be. 15.10.H.1. and 2. are additional to the
previous allowance, and the first part of 2. is redundant with
15.10.A.1

>And, curiously, how about this? JAE is taking Stromberg
big-valve
>heads, cutting the (dare I say it?) intake manifold off of them,
>milling the side of the head, and bolting a plate with intake
>manifold and Webers to it.

So's Dave Bean.

> Instant big-valve Weber never sold in
>the US. Legal for AP?