RE: San Diego

To: "'Jodi Fordahl'" <soundtire@email.msn.com>,
Subject: RE: San Diego
From: Kevin McCormick <ktm@Unify.Com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:15:41 -0800

It was indeed a great event - the Saturday course was quite a blast, as we
still work on sorting out the '99 Miata.  But as you'll see below, I can't
say much about Sunday's course... :-)

> Can't wait for this weekend!
> -Jodi Fordahl
> PS. Does anyone know if Kevin McCormick's wife had the baby?

Yes indeed! Helen Elise McCormick, 8 pounds 14oz.  21" Date/time of birth:
3/21/99 16:54 PST.

 Details for those that might wonder about Jodi's question,

I (for what is now obviously some silly reason) decided to go to the tour
with my wife due on the 25th.  Cell phone in hand, and open ended ticked to
boot.  I thought I was prepared.  Things were fine for Friday and Saturday.
No rings, everything fine at home.

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday...  Got to watch co-driver Katie Elder win BSL in
fine form.  First win for the '99 and for us on Kumhos.

Start work assignment in the trailer (radio chief).  Cell phone on table.
Josh Sirota, Alan Dahl, Jerry Bennington, Jesus Villireal (sp?) et al. there
as well.  Halfway through the first runs of AS, the phone goes off.  I stare
at it for a second, brain engages hand and I answer the phone.  The basic
conversation was that my wife (Chris) was not sure, but thought it might be
time.

Time to go - Alan Dahl takes over radio (Thanks Alan!) Find Ralph Elder -
show him cell phone - he understands - directs me to Katie.  She can take me
to the airport.  Only one slight problem - all flights from San Diego to
Sacramento are booked.  Ok, how about out of LA - nope.  Perhap try America
West (cost is no concern at this point.)  Yep - a 3:00 pm flight with a seat
(it's 1:10 pm at this point) out of Orange County.

Ok, we're off...  After killing 10 min. getting 'lost' we get on the right
track.  All I remember is never seeing the Jeep's speedometer go below 85 -
and that's as high as the gauge goes.  Thanks Katie!  You just earned as
many rides in the road race MR2 as you want!  Get there at 2:30 - tons of
time, right?

People are still running on the plane at 3:05 - not a good thing.
Fortunatly, the pilot says we'll be 5-10 min early - Yea!

Get off plane at 4:20 - friend there to do a drive-by - first pass.  At this
point I wish she had gotten the Acura TL already - the Corolla isn't cutting
it for the 15-20 minute drive...

We get to the room (grandma had been there the whole time) just as they're
about to start pushing.  6 minutes later, Helen was born.

Moral of all of this?  Stay home.  You drive like, um, stuff, and may miss a
truly important life-changing event.  Learn from this - I gambled and almost
lost.

I do have to apologize to Paula Whitney - she was my co-driver for the event
(and a great one at that!) Sorry for not finding you before I left - and
even more sorry that we took all the keys to the Miata with us!

Thanks for listening!

Kevin McCormick
1999 BS Miata Sport Co-driver

P.S. - oh yeah - who won BS? :-)