Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification

To: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:02:34 -0500

Still makes over 300 foot pounds @ 2000 rpm.

>Torque converters only suck up power if you don't have enough already(just
>ask the driver of any 4cyl/automatic) besides, Everybody knows Automatics
>launch easier and harder either from a standing start, or a rolling one.
>They will walk a Manual from the start every time. That's why the NHRA
>classes Automatics in seperate classes (not saying we should, BTW). The LT1
>should walk a L98 assuming both are autos and the rear gears are close, but
>they don't. That's the L98's advantage. That's also why in SS the Vettes
>that are considered the faster ones are the L98 Autos and the LT1/4 6-spds.

An LT1 auto launces just as hard as an L98 auto.  Both are capable of 1.9
60' at the drags on street tires.  A friend has a '98 Firebird with an auto
and a 2.73.  That car runs the 1/4 as quick, and faster than my L98 auto,
AND it does it in TWO gears since it's soooo tall.

>All ratings aside, my built-in torque-o-meter attached to the drivers seat
>tells me that L98s pull better than LT1s, which pull better than LS1s from a
>start. As you get over 2000-3000 RPMs, things start to change. By 4000 RPM,
>the L98 is about done and the LS1 is running away with it. By nature of the
>cars, some courses will favor the L98s.

But if you look at torque curves it's not true at all.  An LT1 makes as
much or more torque very low, the L98 is better (very slightly) in the
midrange, and dead again above 4500.  LS1's for what it's worth make as
much grunt as LT1's at very, very low revs, but since it builds it much
smoother it makes it feel softer.  But it ain't.

>That's odd, I got equal temps across the front tires on both cars. The only
>difference was that the 3rd gen car had over 2 degrees up front and the 4th
>gen only had .5 degrees. Both were static measurements.

You got very lucky.

4th gens. push just a bit where 3rd's don't at all.  The tighter the course
is the better off an old car is, and it's not due to power.  We know an LT1
or LS1 will skunk an L98 (let alone an LB9 305) from any speed.  And the
posi. can't handle the power any of the cars have anyway...............
It's because the 3rd gen works better in tighter corners, 4th's work better
on bigger, faster, more transitional courses.  If Alex Tziortzis or Dean
Sapp or any number of others are out there they can back me up.  We all
have lots of seat time in both car.

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831