Re: Spins & Blame

To: Jeff@winchell.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spins & Blame
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 02:07:25 EST
In a message dated 4/2/99 1:02:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, Jeff@Winchell.Com
writes:

<< >      BTW, in our area there have been quite a few
 > rollovers, flips and offs resulting in vehicle damage over
 > a period of 20-plus yrs. that I have been around the sport.

 Quite a few would be 3 or 4? What number? Then compare that to
 odds of this happening in general driving on the streets. >>
Well, let's see...
A Shelby and  Corvette were destroyed at a place called Pungo where we ran
some years ago. Another car sustained some damage there when it went off and
hit a small building! There were three rollovers in parking lots. One was
mine.
A Porshe hit the wall at  Langley speedway. So did a formula car. And a
Honda. And a Firebird. And there was one at Langley where a car hit the big
tractor tire at the end of the pit wall and did a flying flip. Lots of air
under it. Had to get the fire dept. to cut him out with the jaws of life. We
haven't autocrossed there for a while. I like ovals but must admit they are
too dangerous for a bunch of amateurs. I've seen three "bicycle" near
rollovers two by some very good, experienced drivers. A puff of wind and they
would be added to these grim stats. I'm forgetting something...I went off
course twice with my Camaro on very fast airport courses, luckily hitting
nothing. There are a couple more, I think. Old man's memory ain't that great
but
off the top of my head there are a few. If I remember more I'll let you know.