Re: FW: The tire thing^n and personal responsibility/way backs

To: "Chan, Albert (GEP)" <Albert.Chan@gepex.ge.com>,
Subject: Re: FW: The tire thing^n and personal responsibility/way backs
From: rohns@doitnow.com (Jim & Marilyn Rohn)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:24:27 -0700 (MST)
At 11:23 AM 4/23/99, Chan, Albert (GEP) wrote:
>A few recollections from another observer, who has no particular feelings one
>way or another:
>
>*       The BFG with assymetric carcass (was that the 226?) was "introduced"
>silently at the 1990 Nationals (not the 1989 Nationals as John Whitling
>remembers).

Not exactly, there were "special" BFG's at Salina in 1989

>*       The public acknowledgement by BFG about the 226 (?) was in the April
>(?) 1991 Team T/A newsletter, where the cover article was how the assymetric
>construction R-1 was "successfully introduced" at Salina and Road America in
>the fall of 1990. That was interesting to me, in light of the next two bullet
>points.

I always went faster on the 224's, the road race version, before they
"fixed" them both and called them 230's (DOH!)

>*       Of course, the tire wars at Nationals was started by Goodyear, in the
>large Corvette sized tires at the 1987 Nationals. Limited quantity for certain
>drivers. At least that's what's been told to me, by yet another co-driver who
>was a Goodyear supported driver for a few years in the late '80s and early
>'90s.

uhh, I know that there were some special GoodYears in Kansas in 1983, a
certain winner won without them. The "favored driver" had them and didn't
win...

>Anyone care to share their other recollections?

that's mine

jim rohn

>Al Chan
>(Had the latest R1s on his F-Stock Firebird at the 1990 Nationals - shared the
>car with a BFG contract driver who insisted that I should have the "latest"
>rubber)

I think it had to do with making sure you were using a certain "size" as
well ....