Re: Asking for ideas on Street Tire PAX Classes

To: RacerRay52@aol.com
Subject: Re: Asking for ideas on Street Tire PAX Classes
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:43:30 -0700
First, a few comments.

1) Your example assumes a time from ONE year, and does not change it. That
assumes that H Stock stays stationary, and such is not the case. The H Stock
cars have had additions over time, so it is a fluid condition, not stable.

2) PAX works best across a series of events, and is not perfect for any one
event. It actually is not perfect for any series either, but as good as
anything will be. Local course conditions, surfaces, and cars involved are
important variables too. This is why some areas publish their own index.

Problem with that is if the local index is based upon local prevailing
conditions, then once someone local purchases a 'better' PAX car, those
conditions are no longer valid. Apple cart upset.

Arizona Region uses PAX for the Street Tire cars across a Series of four
events, and things are relatively level after four events. It would be better
(statistically) across eight events, but our entrants fluctuate too much for
that.

We have a 'core' of about 40-50 serious autocrossers, and a fluctuating number
of about 70-80. We average around 120 entrants each event, with about 25 to 30
each event in the Street Tire classes (more than 20 in Novice classes) -
Street Tire 1 (SS, AS, FS, ASP, BSP, ESP, PREP., MOD.) Street Tire 2 (BS, CS,
DS, ES, GS, HS, CSP, DSP), and Street Tire Ladies. The class split is based
upon certain 'performance assumptions' about the classes. Why Prepared and
Modified in Street Tire? Because sometimes 'newbies' come out with unusual
equipment that is street driven, and this is a place for them.

3) Purchasing a 'better PAX car' - good luck. The PAX numbers adjust every
year, so you best be able to purchase a different car each year to keep up.
Anyone want to guess what the best C Stock car will be next year? What will
move, what will stay? Only the Shadow knows....   :-)

Finally, using PAX to assist Street Tire classing is an accommodation, to
provide a somewhat even 'playing field' for those cars. It is far better than
anything else I have seen. Is it perfect? Nope. Does it work pretty darn well?
Yep.

I don't know about where you are, but we typically do not have people buying
the "hot car' for Street Tire PAX classes, based upon the PAX index. They
bring out their personal car on street tires to have fun and enjoy friendly
competition.

The differences in what street tires they have on their car FAR outweighs any
anomaly in the PAX numbers, IMHO.

We have a very strong Street Tire class here in Phoenix. The thing that built
it up the most was splitting the classes so that more could have a chance at a
trophy (note that separated SS and HS...). Based upon what cars come out in
your area, you might alter how that split might be done.

Hope this provides you with some ideas.

Scott Meyers
aka, "PAXMAN'