Clinique and Dirt

To: autox@autox.team.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Clinique and Dirt
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:49:31 -0700
After two days at a swim meet in an outdoor pool in Santa Clara, and a then
a third day at an autox in Sacramento, I must say, Clinique sunscreen, SPF
30, was an excellent choice. Only, here's the catch.

Yesterday, after I arrived home from the autox, an ex-roommate came by to
pick up her mail. "My, Katie, you are so TAN! Where have you been?" she
said, with jealous enthusiasm.

I look in the mirror, and I see that lo and behold, I AM tan. Uh oh, is the
sunscreen not working?

So, I hop into the shower, and lo and behold, that wasn't a tan, that was
just dirt!

But I need to talk with some Clinique scientists about a new product,
something that repels dirt, especially during the act of changing tires.

What hurt most was that lots of people were snickering behind my back,
saying things like, "Did you see that dirt all over Katie Kelly's face?"
Chortle, chortle, snort, snort.

If I could HONESTLY retort, "That's not dirt, that's a TAN!" that would be
one thing. But without fail, I always get this black smug on the tip of my
nose. They would know I was lying if I told them that was a tan.

Even more embarassing is walking around the parking lot like I'm some hot
diva, only to find out, three hours later, that I had this big smudge of
dirt over my entire face, and no one told me because they felt bad.

Any suggestions?

The only good out of this is the proof that I, too, am sometimes a living,
breathing Redneck, if only until I hit the shower.

Katie Kelly
Guilt slows your metabolism.