The "K" Tire - unbiased opinion!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: The "K" Tire - unbiased opinion!
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:08:41 -0700

I have run the 'hot' tire since I started getting serious about this sport.
This year, with all the speculation on GForces, I decided to try the Kumho.
My initial perception was that I would give up a little speed for better
life.  Here are my observations:

- Way cheaper
- Currently 109 runs on first set.  (2 Pro's - FLA and IND) and a myriad of
local stuff.  I plan on running these tires at the Devens National Tour -
if it's dry.
- They need to break in.  One 10/10ths event on them before the compound
activates fully.  The tires seem to be getting faster as they hit the 30-40
run mark.
- In the RX-7, I feel like I can drive them really fast.  They give a lot
of 'feedback' before the break away.
- In the same size (245/45/16) they are 3/8" shorter than the GForce and
much wider than the R1's.

I have had decent results with them this year.  I like them and will stick
with them through Nationals.  What do I think is a better tire?  Tough
call...6 of one, half dozen of another...For me, mentally, it is important
not to feel like my equipment is holding me back, and I don't feel that way
with the Kumho's right now.

AB