Re: handing out timing slips

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: handing out timing slips
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:02:19 -0500
Kelly, Katie wrote:

> Well, in the San Francisco Region, we have someone award timing slips. I
> have NO IDEA how this whole idea got started, but I hear it caught on in
> Seattle, so it must be a good idea.

When I picked up my car last year, I attended the National Tour in San
Diego.  My work assignment was to motion the cars to slow down after the
finish for safety.

Inexplicably, many drivers would stop right in front of me and simply
stare at me expectedly.  I of course stared back.  After a few seconds,
their stare would transform into a glare.  I smiled.  I then would say
something clutzy like "nice run", and they would snort and drive off in
a huff.  Now I know why!  Thanks Katie.

Excellent practical joke to play on out-of-towners. :)
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese