Re: Is This For Real or Phony?

To: autox@autox.team.net, pfoster@gdi.net, rholden@mail.scs.k12.tn.us
Subject: Re: Is This For Real or Phony?
From: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:28:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Richard Holden" <rholden@mail.scs.k12.tn.us>
>
> It is my understanding that every site you access logs your IP address and
> service provider.  They just don't warn you that it is being done.
> Cyberspace is truly a "big brother is watching you" world.
> --
> Richard Holden

This is just a wee bit nuts!  First off, most ISPs use DHCP with assigns
  you an address when you connect.  Odds are you will get a different IP
  address each time you connect.  If a site logs your address, all they can
  tell is that SOMEBODY from your local ISP called.  If you're like most of us,
  that probably only narrows the possible candidates down to a few thousand.

Not real useful information.

Now, if you're at a company that has reserved IP addresses, you can be tracked
  down to the desktop.  But usually only bigger companies or ones that
  reserved numbers many years ago would have that.

Not sure what you have?  Under 95/98, check control panel-network-tcpip
  properties.

pat(working at a company with reserved numbers, using DHCP from home)mac
Pat MacAvoy
a.k.a. konekiller@tridelta.com
84 CS RX7 GSL-SE (for sale, see http://www.suite224.net/~patmac)
88 CS 924S-SE (CS gun)