Top car and all that (Was Neon ACR)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Top car and all that (Was Neon ACR)
From: Christa Meck <cmeck@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:36:35 -0400
I'm on digest, so forgive me for replying so late.  I had ot get in on
this.

I want everyone to take me as an example....  I own an RX-7 TT.  I run
in Super Stock.  Does this mean I beat everyone in SS?  NO!

Hmm.  We all know that the RX-7 is (at least one of) THE car(s) to have
in SS.  And I have one.  Why am I not beating the pants off everyone in
sight?

Because I bought the car first, then was introduced to autocrossing
second.
Supposedly, it's not even the RIGHT RX-7 (Did you know there is a wrong
RX-7 for SS?)  and it isn't even close to being set up.  What have I
done to
it?  Tires.  That's it.  No harness, no K&N, no exhaust - none of that.

Hey Ray:  I even ran some Pros and Tours on Street tires because I had
no way to
get my tires there.  Did I win?  No.  Was I competetive (within my
ability to drive
the car)?  At Meridian: Yes.  At Peru: No.

This year I've been working on making the nut behind the wheel better.
I've already gotten pretty close to some of the good regional people
around
here.  And that's good.  And I'd say in another few weeks, I'll be one
of the
local people to beat.

Ok, so now I have "conquered" local.  Let's Kick it up a notch and hit
Divisionals.  all of a sudden I am competing against people like Andy
Bettencourt,
and Mike Solomon.  Will I beat them?  No.  But why?!?!

Because they are better drivers than I am.  Plain and simple.

So, let's take the car out of the equation...  I drive AB's car.  I
should be
an instant National Caliber Driver(tm) right?  WRONG!  But the car is an
RX-7,
it is the RIGHT RX-7, and since it is Andy's we all have no doubts that
it
is set up properly.  Well, I am not as good as he is.  Yes, it's true.
I CAN
be (with a lot of seat time and practice), but I am not currently.  Just
jumping
in the car doesn't make me kick ass.

So what if the Neon is a good car for its class.  So what if the Daddios
and the
Zoners and the Leverones beat you.  Are you as good as they are?
Did you prepare your car to the fullest limit of it's potential?  Did
you have National
Caliber People help you sort it out too?  Those guys are pretty
friendly, and
are usually pretty happy to help out.  Did you try EVERYTHING?

Then shut up.

I'd kill for the Neon money.  I really would.  But I'm not good enough
for it
to matter.  So I'll stick to SS.

- Christa