Re: Hey Karl

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hey Karl
From: Karl Witt <kwitt@shore.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:55:28 -0400
On or about 01:49 PM 6/15/1999 , richard nichols did say, replying to Dan Hill:
>Oh, boy, we get to argue about, er, I mean, discuss turbos again!  One of my
>favorite subjects.
>

>>The only way to get boost creep is to run that "24" pounds of boost which
>isn't possible in ESP
>
>If the point is, turbocars can't generate 24 psi with ESP legal mods, then
>I'll be the first to say, "I dunno".  I do know that it *is* at least
>theoretically possible to generate *some* boost increase with ESP legal mods
>on turbocars, according to a senior engineer at AiResearch (which my car
>runs -- the turbo, not the engineer).  :)

Unless a friend of mine is lying to me, then yes it is possible to get
23-24psi out of an ESP legal 2nd gen DSM. As far as the lag issue goes,
well, I drove the car at an event before the final round of mods was done
(down pipe and !cat) and it didhave a good amount of lag coming out of a
turnaround when i drove, but the car's owner seemed to minimize it a good
bit with left foot braking and keeping in the throttle a bit. With the new
mods, i haven't driven it yet (heavy on the yet =)) But from watching, the
car doesn't display nearly the kind of lag off the line that it used to before.

>>biggest point to me is that a heavy car with a stock turbo on a 4
>>cylinder doesn't exactly do much damage to the Fbodies in the class they
>compete against

How the car does in the class doesn't concern me...if it's too slow for the
class, then move it to DSP now that DSP is PAXd lighter than ESP. But then
again, there's the old arguement that noone that's a high end national
competitor has driven the car (no offense DSM folks...correct me if i'm
wrong) so we don't KNOW that it's not competitive in ESP with or without
the backdated turbo. My point is, why do the turbo folks get a cheap way
out? see the example in my previous post...couple hundred buck for a turbo
swap versus a couple thousand dollar engine swap for f-bodies, and the
f-body STILL doesn't get the kind of percentage gain that the DSM does from
the turbo. If the DSM folks want the older turbo, then let them have
it....WITH the older motor. If the older motor is even better than the new
motor, so be it. if the NA folks can't pick and chose to save money, then
the turbo guys shouldn't get to either.

Jay: ok...yes, it could be better worded.

>Do the F bodies in ESP really weigh in at 3400# as competed?  Or are they
>actually making the weight reductions that are allowed there
>(update/backdates, spare removal, low fuel tank, etc.)?  I'd be interested
>in knowing, if anyone cares to share.  :)

Mine personally, it probably comes in somwhere between 3400-3475 with a
full tank of gas and the T-Tops out, i don't know for sure, but it weighed
in at 3675 at the drag strip with me in it (~220), T-tops on (~30) and half
tank (7.5 less than full...whatever gas weighs...do the math :)) I always
run a full tank for autox...see the other thread today about ballast...we
have plenty of HP, but a light tail end :)

>>You can't stay in boost all the time and slower 2nd gear corners
>>present lots of turbo lag.

Guess what, us NA guys aren't at WOT all the time either, so, we're not
making top power either.

anyway, yadda, yadda, same ole same ole :)

Karl
98 Z
44 ESP
NER