Re: Turbo guys get screwed again. (Sorry!!!)

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again. (Sorry!!!)
From: Tesec@compuserve.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:27:50 -0400
Howdy,

I was measuring split times from the start to the 1st slalom on Sunday
at the Devens National tour, trying to help Mike Solomon get the most out
of his 993's launches. Both days there were flat out drag racing starts,
which IMHO are a poor idea for a "national tour" as they are never used
at the nationals.

Anyway, I measured Mike's 993 and Andy's RX-7TT at about 5.1 seconds.
Sam Strano's ESP Camaro was the same time, as was the
DSM turbo of Fedja Jeleskovic. Fedja did not come off the line
at high RPMS as I have seen other AWD DSMs do, so there was probably
more time available to him by beating the #$%^ out of his clutch and
driveline (which is not possible on RWD cars as wheelspin is the limiting
factor).
I may be wrong and he may be a championship drag racer, in which case
I apologize. But either way the car is no underdog.

An interesting aside : I measured Mark Daddio's start at .5 seconds slower
than the SS cars, which ran in the same heat. Marks full course times were
less than .5 seconds slower, so after the initial drag racing launch, he
MADE UP TIME on the SS cars throughout the course!!!

P.S. it was a great event, great weather for my 3rd event  in a row.
Thanks to Howard and the National staff, and the NER folks for doing a
great job! The lunch on Saturday was an excellent idea, I usually skip
event dinners after too many disasters.

Regards, mike piera

sorryforaddingtothisthreadatleastitsnotballast@analogman.com

'72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica