The REAL screwing (was Turbo guys get screwed again)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: The REAL screwing (was Turbo guys get screwed again)
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:43:09 -0500
Let's see - - the DSM boys have a new twist on an old discussion
- - instead of an "I" class they want to be allowed modifications
that could make them dominant in an existing class. When they
don't get their wish, they dominate the discussion in this forum
with talk of being screwed. Nice move!!

While all that is going on, the real screwing is taking place. In a
much less lightly subscribed class than FS (I guess  that in itself
makes it OK).  That class is A Prepared.

Reading this months Fastrack, I find that the efforts to make right
the previous SEB regimes' wrongs in that class were thwarted - -
listen to this logic - - because top 2 winners have gone to another
class. That makes everything allright now!!!

Now, that sure was an easy cop - out, PAC and SEB. See, the
AP/FP problem wasn't so hard, after all!!

Of course, because there has been no rule changes, these top
"previous winners" will be banned from returning - - right?? Or from
selling those cars to somebody else. Or yet another pair of like
cars to be developed to that same level.

Oh, while this hideously novel idea and nuevo-thinking is prominent,
let's add some verbage to allow anybody NOC to run in AP - - that
will give parity to the class !!!!!!!!!

How much has the SEB helped the RX-7's, the 240/260/280 Z cars,
and the Fiero's from the old FP by adding kit cars, non production
(EPA and DOT approval not required) and NOC cars as they just did
in Fastrack??

If I am going to be worse an underdog than I have been in years past
(a 4cyl 1900lb car vs a 2000lb 427 Cobra, or a 1400lb Lotus, or a 2300
lb Tiger) since the demise of FP, I may as well be a tremendous under-
dog in E Mod - - - joining the trend of the "old" FP'er the last couple
years.

Or, let's see. I could take my current car, lighten it to - - however light

I want to make it - - and put a kit car body on my current car (the Fiero
is the chassis of choice for many kit cars) and still run in AP under the
new rules. Another few thousand to get competitive. (I could hope to
finish that project - this time - before another batch of rules are
enacted).

It isn't too hard to understand the tremendous attrition in this sport. A
person gets hooked, spends a small fortune to develop him/herself and
a car, and the rulemakers make that investment a charity through change.

We, as a club,  want to grow and expand. We envy and try to emulate
the success of the NHRA, and wonder how to take advantage of the tremendous
growth and interest in Motorsports that the Nascar love affair
has generated, all in order to expand this sport.

Then we change the rules faster than one can buy new stock class car
(to keep up witht he rule changes), or build and develop a car in Street
Prepared and Prepared.

Mike B. is 100% correct in the statement about running in Mod. They,
in the Mod classes, are not immune to the rule changing. The changes
in Mod just seem to take more than one or two issues of Fastrack.

Wonder how well a 12 second NA 4 cylinder Fiero could do in bracket
racing??

George Ryan