Turbo boost.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Turbo boost.
From: "Farzaan Kassam" <fkassam@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:25:35 -0700
>24 pounds? On a 14b? No way, no how. Not possible without boost
>controllers, and probably not possible EVER.

It is VERY possible.  I can't believe someone that owns a DSM and is likely
a member of the DSM list would say something like this.  I am a firm
believer in turbochargers, I've owned three DSM's, one Turbo FWD, two Turbo
AWD's.  I also built a very fast DSM for Canadian E/SP competition.  I was
probably one of the people that got Dennis into autocrossing with my
constant weekly stories on the DSM list when no one autocrossed their DSM.

Once a free flow exhaust is placed on the DSM cars, the wastegate no longer
becomes efficient enough and the boost becomes uncontrollable in the high
RPMS.  This is called boost creep.  On my AWD Talon, when we installed the
3" exhaust and bypassed the cat-convertor, the boost would creep to 26psi on
the 14B.  Without added fuel, the mixture was ridiculously lean.  Having
said that, the 14B really does not make much power over 20psi of boost
anyways at high RPM's, it's just too small a turbo and too inefficient.
These cars don't really come into their own on the auto-x until you change
that puny turbocharger to something bigger, like a TD05-16G.  To remove the
boost creep, you need to port the wastegate housing or go to an external
wastegate.

With enough modifications, a 14B equipped DSM has done low 12's in the 1/4
mile, but I doubt that would be anywhere close to being SP legal and would
probably have driveability problems.

>Boost "creep" to 24lbs????  Without a T3 or something????  Sounds more like
>the boost hopped a plane and flew to Maui.  Come to think of it, a few
>random parts from the blown motor may land somewhere around Maui too.

The DSM motors are incredibly strong.  Sometimes I wish my 944 Turbo S had a
DSM motor in it.  It never leaked, it only blew up when I did something
stupid, and it seemed to always run no matter what I threw at it.  I ran
20psi of boost ALL THE TIME with a larger turbo than the stock 14B and it
was quite a fun car.

Farzaan
fkassam@direct.ca