Tires (was Re: karts)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires (was Re: karts)
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
Byron sez:
> Andy Poling wrote:
> > My tire budget for the year (one local event per weekend, plus 4 Pros, plus
> > Nationals) for my Miata, including a second set of tires for Nationals (a
> > luxury really) will be under $800.
>
> Wow!  That's incredibly cheap.  Kumho's I presume?

Yep.  Longevity is a strong suit too.

> Still, based on
> what I *think* we've selected for tires this year, we expect to go
> through about 4 - 5 sets this year in actual usage.  This is actually
> pretty normal for us, looking over the last several years.  I believe
> back around 1994 we used to go through as many as 8 sets per year, so
> for all the talk about decreased tire life, we used to actually eat more
> of them.

I think the longevity is not what it used to be, but I seem to have a unique
perspective.  I used to compete locally all season on my Yoko RS's and,
later, BFG R1's and then *drive* on them (from Maryland) to Topeka, and run
Nationals, *drive* on them home and finish the season.  Never unmounted
them, and never even _owned_ street tires for the car.

Can't do that anymore these days... but I don't think going through 2 set of
tires a year is all that bad, considering I'm trying to compete at the
national level.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting