ST musings

To: Team Net <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: ST musings
From: "Brian P. Van Lieu" <bvl@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:14:38 -0400
Interesting to see a discussion of ST strong cars :)

Granted, I am a rookie and all, but I have talked alot about ST
in my region, and with others on the net.

I looked at the increase in displacement as a way for a 325 or
328 to really run strong in ST.

In theory, AS  and BS cars should be faster then GS cars considering the

modifcations available are the same. In theory :)

One thing here is: its an expensive undertaking to convert a 3 series
BMW it to ST rules. CSP type hondas can run strong, as well as a Neon,
but its really a crap shoot depending upon the course.

The Prelude is a better overall platform then the Integra, but the
teg is a bit cheaper to start with and on some courses the
few hundred pounds of diet may help.

225/50 tires do fit on Civics and Integras in the front with a 1/4
spacer...only a tad of rubbing, but for these smaller HP cars the
extra weight at the wheels can be a negative. And you don't need
to slam the car low...just have something with good spring rates
such as a GC setup with ERS springs. My personal ST car
is rather tall considering some of the competition.

Watching Vince, Mark and the Neon driver (I fogret his name) run
at the Harrisburg ProSolo was a lot of fun, but I really wanted to see a
few
of the larger displacement ST eligible cars thrown in there for
comparison.

As far as tires: the SP8000s are cheap in many 15" sizes, but they
do give up a bit of stick when compared to the MXX3 and
other tires. I run the SP8000s because they are cheap and
I am not a nationally competitive driver. If I was I am sure I
would budget accordingly.

- b

--
Brian P. Van Lieu
PADA Ultimate Frisbee --- GOHO!    AXP-Phi Mu Chapter

#define disclaimer
  My opinions are mine....