Re: Turn to the Dark Side, Luke!

To: "John Whitling" <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Turn to the Dark Side, Luke!
From: "Jonathan Kniskern" <jonathan_kniskern@nmenv.state.nm.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:14:55 -0700
> > 1) Stick with the g-force, but drop down a size, to 255-40R17
> > 2) Switch to Kumho, at 275-40R17
> > 3) Both, a Kumho 255-40R17

But here's the $10,000 question - how good are the K-tires, both hot and
cold? I
> > understand that a hot g-force is a better tire than a hot Kumho, but is
a cold
> > Kumho better than a cold g-force? Or is it better to stick with the
BFGs, but
> > move down a size (and so get a lower car and better gearing, but less
grip when
> > hot?)
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > DG

I'm new to the list and have only been autocrossing for about a year now,
but I'll give you my opinions. Take 'em or leave 'em.

I bought a set of used BFG R1's - 185/60-14. They worked well at a race
track in Cal. (Thunderhill), and were certainly stickier than my street
tires - SP8000's - when autocrossing. But when I switched to a set of barely
used (thanks to Toby Weir-Jones) Kumho 195/55-14's I couldn't believe the
grip! I really like the Kumho's and figured it was due to the wider size.
They did seem to grip better cold than the R1's and the Kumho's are
supposedly longer lasting and definitely easier on the wallet. I just got a
set of even wider tires - Hoosier 205/55-14's (thanks to Eric Moon) also
used, and will be trying them out tomorrow and Sunday.

Hope this helps. People I've talked to say they like Kumho's, but no one's
ever told me they were the Dark Side (G-Force = the Force?) Who cares? Use
what works best! Free your mind, Luke.

Jonathan Kniskern
'90 BS Miata