dsm advice request

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: dsm advice request
From: Mari Clements <mlc4@psu.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:36:01 -0400
A friend and former autoxer (who might, but also might not, autox again
someday) has three dsm questions that I said I would forward for answers.
He's looking at two cars, and trying to decide which to buy.  Any help you
can give would be super appreciated.

1)  The first gen car has 100K miles, and the shifter clunks something
fierce.  He's visited enough websites to have found a "fix" for this, so
he's thinking it's a relatively common--and easy to fix--problem.  Is that
right?

2)  Also on the first gen car, when you are engine braking or just
decelerating in gear, it has a *really* loud rumble.  Nothing like this
happens on acceleration.  He says it's almost like the muffler works on
acceleration but doesn't work on deceleration.  Any ideas?

3)  The $8500 question--if one could buy a first gen Talon with 100K miles
for $5000 or a second gen with 50K miles for $13,500, which should one buy?
 (With the exception of questions 1 & 2, both cars are in comparable shape.)

mlc
'91 MR2 NA
Mari L. Clements
Department of Psychology
Penn State University
442 Moore and 160 University Support Building 1
University Park, PA 16802-1012
(814)863-5664; fax (814)863-7002
http://www.personal.psu.edu/mlc4