Autocrossing Offspring

To: autocross <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Autocrossing Offspring
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:52:28 -0700
Hi all. I spent some time last year trying to introduce my wife to
autocrossing, and she still seems to not like the idea of spending the
day at a parking lot. 8-) I will keep working on her of course (I may
not be as bright as I am stubborn). She is now starting a new round of
radiation treatment for her cancer, so she is a bit tired, but I hope
she will come back to autocrossing this fall.

So...I am turning my attention to the offspring (I think I hear the
small pitter patter of little feet running away...). My daughter is
getting her permit and has completed driving school and managed to get
banned from driving go-karts at camp since she kept putting it up into
the tire barriers. I think she is genetically doomed to hit cones.  8-)

So... a few questions come to mind.

1. When can she drive an autocross on her own? I know I will want to
drive with her initially, but her permit only covers her in a car with
an adult driver present. Does that mean she can't autocross on her own
until that requirement is removed?

2. I am not a pushy dad, so I don't expect to be screaming. 8)  Any
hints about introducing a new driver to this sport? She is worried that
she does not even know how to shift yet.

3. My helmet sits on her head, but it seems a bit loose. Anyone buy
smaller head size helmets? Are they readily available, like at
motorcycle shops?

So, you parents that have been there. You offspring that are still in
the sport.... do you have general hints or what to do or not do?
Katie????

Randy Chase (getting older and now looking at the next generation....)