Re: Heat Cycling

To: "Charles Kelly" <kellycp@nbnet.nb.ca>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heat Cycling
From: "Steve Hoult" <stevehoult@home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:36:05 -0500
On a dry day, on a clean, deserted road drive for 15 - 20 minutes. Weave the
car from side to side slowly. This won't get them to a high enough
temperature, but will prepare them for what's next. Pull into that parking
lot (I use a High School lot on the weekends when no one is there) you
scoped out earlier and do a series of tight left hand and then right hand
loops. I usually do 4-5 left and then 4-5 rights and then repeat several
times. DO NOT go fast enough to cause the rear to slide or the front to
push. That will generate more temp then you want. You should be able to
generate enough heat by doing 3-4 cycles. When you stop, get out immediately
and use that fancy pyrometer (you did spend for one, didn't you?) or use
your hand. These tires should feel very hot ( to the point of being
worrysome if it was your street car) and sticky. The pyrometer will give you
an accurate reading, your hand won't.

The suggested cool down is 24 hours, but I have heard people suggesting that
at least 48 hours leads to better wear. I can't confirm that. For reasons
that are too long to go into right now, my G-Forces were cooled for almost 4
weeks.....

Steve Hoult  '89 SC   ASP 9   Flat Duck Racing
Visit the MR2 SC Registry at www.mr2sc.com
Got Boost?