Re: STU Proposal Update - Displacement limits feedback required

To: Dave Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: STU Proposal Update - Displacement limits feedback required
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:39:59 -0500
At 11:36 AM 7/19/99 , Dave Hillman wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
>> Proposal B is:
>>
>> Rotary:                   : 1.400 litres
>> Forced induction          : 2.200 litres
>> OHC normally aspirated    : 3.200 litres
>> Pushrod normally aspirated: 4.000 litres
>>
>> Proposal B
>>    Con
>>      - excludes some target cars (Grand Prix, M3, Subaru WRX)
>
>   I must be missing something, but I don't see how this excludes the M3,
>at least not the 3L version.  What is the exact displacement of the 3.2L?

3.152L

But it does exclude a big market of _autocrossers_ -- not potential
autox'ers, but active autox'ers -- turbo-charged and super-charged M3s
who autox with the BMW CCA.  They would love to also autox with the SCCA,
but just can't get excited about E Mod.  But that crowd of FI M3s are
actually excluded by both proposals.

Thus, I vote for Proposal A but humbly request to push the OHC limit up
to 3.2L (or at least 3.16L ;^).

OTOH, if we had STU-small and STU-big, I would like Proposal B real well
for STU-small and then same thing with larger limits for STU-big.  STU-big
would let my friends play -- and STU-small would let my NA M3 play AND get
that big-brake kit I always wanted (not legal in CSP, where I am now).

Brian