wheel cleaners

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: wheel cleaners
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 01:53:42 -0700
Howdy from the suddenly-not-so-unGodly-hot Midwest.

Here's a silly question for y'all.  I know, I know.  It's Linnhoff so what's
new?

You know the wheel cleaner that we spray on our car's wheels to clean all of
the brake dust off of them?  Like the Westley's Wheel Majic that I use.  It
chemically(?) unbonds the dust from the wheel's surface so we can spray it
off with a hose or at the car wash.

What does this stuff do to the actual brake pads if it "eats" the brake dust
off of the wheels?  I know that we're not supposed to leave it on very long,
and that I at least hose the wheels down quite thoroughly soon after it's
application, but I was just wondering if there are any documented studies on
whether the various wheel cleaners can actually degrade or hurt the brake
pads and/or their performance.

Any thoughts?  Besides that I'm just being paranoid again.  ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

"Dolphin Safe Tuna"
It's okay, as long as you're not a Tuna.