re : Safety of roll bar/roll cage

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re : Safety of roll bar/roll cage
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:53:16 EDT
"OneTimeCRX Henry C." <hchea@ramapo.edu>

>> I'm probably going to get some raw parts this weekend for building
either a roll bar or roll cage (my def of roll bar is a hoop behind the
front seats and two extensions leading out to the back for a total of 4
points, while a roll cage is 6 points including extensions surrounding
the entire front cabin).  My questions is, which one would be safer for
my particular application?  My car is driven daily, both on public roads
and at autoxes.  I wear my 6-point harness at all times (even on the
road), but I only wear my helmet while autoxing.  I don't like the
imagery of somebody swinging a big metal pipe at my head at 50 mph, so I
would think that a roll cage is more dangerous without a helmet than a
roll bar is.  Even with the harness holding me down (and theoretically
clear of the roll cage), would a roll cage be more dangerous than it is
a safety item?  Somebody please provide me insight before this weekend
comes up because that's when I will probably get my parts.  Thanks in advance!
<<

Yours concerns are valid, I would go with a roll bar if you drive
on the street a lot. You can add diagonal door bars however,
which would add some safety and strength. They would run
from midway on the main hoop, forward and down to the front
of the door sill. In the future you could extend
your bars into a full roll cage. That is exactly what I did this year
as I am doing a lot of road racing now and very little street driving.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com