Re: RX7 R1/R2/Touring differences

To: Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com>
Subject: Re: RX7 R1/R2/Touring differences
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:53:49 -0700

Kevin McCormick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I remember someone (Dennis P?)

Good memory. Here is the post I saved, just in case I decided I wanted
an RX7.

">From an autocross perspective here are the important points:

1. '93 cars all had the exact same engine, springs, sway-bars, bushings
and
wheels. But the '93 R-1 also had stiffer shocks (only suspension
difference
and an allowable mod in SS anyway), a shock-tower brace, a second oil
cooler, spoilers, and suede-like seats, plus no cruise control. Base
models
weighed 2789, R-1s weighed 2801, and Touring models (which also had a
Bose,
sunroof, foglights, rear wiper and leather seats) weighed 2863.

2. '94 and '95 cars used softer bushings, springs and sway-bars (except
for
the R-2 which used the same '93 parts), and a less racy wheel alignment.
The R-2 was otherwise identical to the R-1 except for the tires (as far
as
I know). These years also weighed just a hair more in part because they
have two air bags.

So, there is really very little advantage to getting an R-1 or R-2 over
the
other '93 models. Mostly you just have slightly different weights and
the
"mostly for looks" R-1/R-2 shock-tower brace. The R-1/R-2 spoilers and
second oil-cooler are no help in autocrossing, and the rear spoiler
actually increases drag without helping downforce! The R-1/R-2
shock-tower
is no real help either as that area of the car is well-supported already
(unlike the rear hatch area). '93s are great for that reason: They're
all
competitive IMHO, though the Touring weighs a bit more, and even that
may
not be enough to be significant except in theory. If you get a '94 or
'95
the R-2 model is clearly the one to get. Though I've seen people do well
with '94-'95 non-R-2s too... the cars are all so fast that the
differences
are almost lost in the "noise" of the real world.

Basically, any RX-7 twin turbo should be competitive, though I'd stay
away
from the '94-'95 non-R-2s.

Biggest problem: Learning how to setup the car and drive it properly! SS
is
fierce, and the RX-7 has lots of room for setup and driving errors. But
if
you get everything right, boy are they fast!

Dennis S Pedersen"

Hope that helps.

Randy Chase
Over 40, kids, homeowner, and soccer coach means I have no time