Re: Canadian Car classes?, was HS Beetle

To: Cliff Loh <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: Canadian Car classes?, was HS Beetle
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 23:58:14 -0400

Cliff Loh wrote:

> "Brian Jarvis" <Brian.Jarvis@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >We use rules somewhat based on CACC or CASC of yesteryear with "Super
> >Classes" comprising of SCCA Classes (eg. ARMS Stock Class 1 = SCCA
> >AS/BS/FS). Where can I get hold of a copy of current CASC
> rules/classes? I
> >envision a day when there is a CANADIAN set of rules and/or car
> classes to
> >reflect automobile product which is slightly/significantly different
> than US
> >versions.
>
> I think Motorsport Club of Ottawa might have an online listing.
> www.mco.org.  They will probably have a link to CASC.

Hi:

The CASC-Ontario Region rules can be found here:
http://www.swbs.com/solo2.html
The official CASC site can be found here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/casc.or/2ndpage.htm but doesn't really have any Solo
II info.

> As for a uniquely Canadian classification system... That would have to
> come many years down the road as you would first have to create truly
> National sanctioning body and elect members to an SEB-like
> organization with sub-committees responsible for each category.  Out
> west, our CACC Solo Rule book is simply an evolution if the original
> CASC National (circa 1991) rules.  We've stayed pretty close to the
> original for the sole purpose of re-capturing the National body.
> However, the current state of regional matters across Canada does not
> make that a likely event.  We are still too fragmented.  Until we
> Canadians get off our butts and create a true single site National
> Championship event, there's no real motivation to prepare a car to
> CACC limits.  We've been talking about it for about 9 years now and no
> one's lifted a finger.  That's embarrassing.  I know that the people
> in Ontario have all but dropped the CASC regional series in favor of
> another totally different rule book.

Actually the regional series in Ontario has undergone a bit of a revival, it
got off to a shaky start this year because of the loss of venues but with a bit
of rescheduling it's back on track. The rulebook received a major makeover last
year to bring it up to date and get rid of a lot of crap. It uses a
preparation-points type system similar to CACC but is not based on SCCA rules.
It still needs some work (IMHO) but is much better than it was. Most of us now
use the 1999 CASC-OR rules for club events as well.
Hell, we even have our own Solo e-mail list, info on joining is here:
http://home.ican.net/~blur/mail/mail.htm

I agree with you about Canada being too fragmented to have a national rulebook
at this time. Both coasts seem to use variances of the SCCA rules with Ontario
(with the highest population) using the CASC rules. The geography of Canada
makes a National Championship similar to the US not very likely or practical. I
know there was some sort of thing in the past but that's before I started
competing so I can't comment. The fact that there is no real communication
between regions doesn't help matters.
If any Canucks want to discuss Canadian rules without clogging up team.net they
can feel free to join the aforementioned e-mail list.

> IMHO, a uniquely Canadian system is not necessary.  Vehicles in Canada
> aren't much different than those sold in the U.S.  We have a daytime
> running light requirement and we never had those silly automated seat
> belts but those are C&C items.  Models that are only available here
> represent only a very small percentage of the entire potential market.
> 95% of the time, using  SCCA listings and CACC car preparation
> allowances work satisfactorily.  The biggest problem is running SCCA
> CSP in a Canadian market Civic..that's a guaranteed DSQ at any Tour,
> Pro or Nationals.

We thought about simply going with SCCA rules but didn't really like the all or
nothing approach  EG. (wrong wheels = Street Prepared) The new rules are much
more newbie friendly as common mods do not necessarily put you in a
non-competitive class. Plus many of the existing autox cars here were already
built around the CASC rules.
The thing I like about our rules is that you can build a car like you want
rather than according to the existing formula.
PS, if you think these are weird you should see the CASC road racing rules.

Burl Vibert
Competition Director
St. Lawrence Auto Club CASC-OR
Kingston, Ontario