Re: car hopping

To: "Meyer, Brian J" <Brian.Meyer@Wichita.BOEING.com>,
Subject: Re: car hopping
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:18:05 -0500
>> Here's the problem:  Normally when I enter a corner too hot with my
FWD
>> car on Toyos It just pushes due to our local slick racing surfaces.
BUT,
>> at Forbes the car's front end physically hopped sideways as I pushed
>> through the turn due to entering too fast.

>Did this happen at every corner or just a couple of turns?
==========================
I think, and I'm still awfully new at this thinking thing, that instead
of simply sliding (like they do on my local asphalt event sites) when
they were overloaded that the tires sorta rolled over onto the sidewall
(yes there were fresh scuff marks on the sidewall) and then would seem
to just hop sideway a bit and repeat this process most of the way around
the sweepers.  This may have been partly due to the super sticky
concrete but was probably primarily due to simply going into the corner
too hot.

>The course had at least five sweeping turns that were for the most part
>constant radius. In two of them there were some pretty big bumps where
the
>concrete blocks were uneven.  During steady-state cornering (something
that
>course had lots of) if you hit one of these bumps while your suspension
is
>loaded up from the cornering forces, it will cause your car to hop over
>quite a bit.
========================
Hmm, part of the perceived hopping may have been due to the bumps but
part of it was that I'm just not used to running on such a sticky
surface.  Like that's a terrible thing.  ;^)

>I was working at the "Showcase" turn on Saturday (station two) and saw
many
>cars get upset as they went through the second turn in the course. A
couple
>of the CSP cars with ultra stiff front suspensions would really get
launched
>by that bump, but once they hooked up the tires just bit and zip - they
were
>gone. The stock cars had more trouble because it looked like most of
them
>were cornering on the bump stops. The outside wheel's suspension
couldn't
>soak up the bump because the spring was nearly or fully compressed due
>the cornering loads.
=============================
No trouble, I was just sliding and hopping around the sweepers as fast
as I possibly could without totally roasting the inside tire with
wheelspin (which has been greatly reduced by the installation of the
skinnier front factory swaybar).  One of these days I'll get some REAL
sticky tires and probably be beside myself with the newfound grip.

>I didn't run at Nationals last year, so this was my first time driving
the
>course. It was easily the most challenging course I've ever seen. Maybe
it
>was also because I was in an unfamiliar car, but I just couldn't figure
out
>the best way to drive that course. I loved it!
>
>Brian Meyer
>Wichita Region
=============================
I too LOVED the course.  It was very easy to find the course and was
fairly easy to look ahead.  It was also easily the overall fastest
course that I've ever been on including the prior three Solotime events
of this year.  When I was walking it I was sure that most cars would be
in the high 60's to low 70's due to the sheer length of the dang thing.
NOT!!  My first run, and keep in mind that I'm pretty darn slow, was a
57 second run.  I should've checked the odometer and done the math with
the run times but I'm sure the average speed for my car on the course
had to be near 40 mph.  But, even with such wide open cone placement
there was still plenty of room on the course to pick the wrong line and
lose speed on the entrance and/or exit of the many turns.  VERY
challenging.  I liked it very much so.

>p.s. I don't know if Solotime's "Stick" will work on your Toyo's.
Better
>splurge for the "Super Sticky Stick".
===============================
I'm afraid that you may be right.  My next set of tires will most likely
be Kumhos whether they come out with a 225/50-14 tire or I have to end
up just running the 205/55's on all four corners.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

she being brand new
and consequently a little stiff
i was careful of her
and having thoroughly oiled the universal joint
tested my gas
felt of her radiator
made sure her springs were ok
"she being brand new" by ee cummings