Re: semi trailing arm suspension

To: brett whisenant <tooltime1@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: semi trailing arm suspension
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:38:53 -0400
brett whisenant wrote:
> Paraphrased from Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams
>
> Raising the roll center height does the exact opposite.  The higher
> the roll center the less roll angle.  Because of the less leverage
> produced by the roll center.

This assumes, of course, that the roll center was below the center of
gravity before raising it.  What it is actually saying is that a
shorter roll couple reduces roll angle.  It's inaccurate and misleading
to simply say that higher roll centers result in lower roll angles.

That said, just like I clarified to Justin, roll angle isn't what
causes cars to roll over.  It's high roll rates and a sudden impact
against the bump stop (IMHO) that does it.  There's nothing wrong
with lots of body roll provided it doesn't adversely affect alignment
or aerodynamics...  Until you hit the bump stops.

Mark