September 5th Crown site set

To: autox@autox.team.net, dragon5@gateway.net, gnb9063@kcpl.com,
Subject: September 5th Crown site set
From: AutoX200@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:24:57 EDT
Hello all,

    Well, after much debate as to where the September 5 Crown event was going
to be at, we have settled on Kemper Arena.  Kemper you say, yes that's right,
Kemper.  We know that the lot there is getting pretty crummy, so we have
talked with them and found out that we can use more of the lot if we set
things up a little different and change things around.  Frank and I will be
going out there on the Saturday before to look at some of the things that sit
under the bridges and see if at all possible, to move then to give us a
better surface to cross between the lots.  We know that we couldn't move the
trailer that is there, the surface near it is bad, but on the other side
where the cattle fence usually is, we can move that and the surface is good.

    So, mark your calendar's for Kemper on the 5 of September.  We tried to
locate another place for the event, and nothing was available.  The lot that
the Alfa Romeo club used that was controlled by Argossy is no longer under
their control.
I have been in contact with the owners of the site, and are talking
negotiations for leasing the site on a month to month basis for next year.
Part of the deal is the permission to remove all light poles from the lot to
give us a bigger and more unrestricted site.

    The other thing that I have been able to find out is that the old State
Ave Drive Inn has a price.  The Drive Inn is almost 20 Acres.  It has sewer
lines for construction of a building to house bathrooms.  The property has
also been surveyed to show that it is not undermined.  For those that have
seen the sink holes developed near that area.  They are asking $230,000 for
the site.  $30,000 down and the Drive Inn will finance the remaining $200,000
at 8 percent.  Then we would have to look at the cost of either asphalting
the site or concrete.  A site like this could be used for many things.
Renting to other car clubs for events.  Setting up for a Swap and Shop on
Fridays and Saturdays. The 63rd Street Drive Inn brings in $4000 a weekend
from just the fees from sellers for the Swap and Shop there.  This is
something we can toss about.

    The next thing is that Crown has submitted an official proposal to the
Kansas International Speedway Corporation.  We have asked for one of two
things.  One is for permission to hold events on either the pit areas in the
infield or a large paved parking lot, on days that they do not hold events.
The second was to possibly lease a large paved parking lot area located away
from the track for a number of years, with Crown retaining the right to
sublease the site to other clubs, but the Speedway would still retain the
right to use the lot on days that they would have an event at the track.

    This week has really brought it to our attention that we need a permanent
site.  If Kemper had fallen through, we would have had to cancel the
September 5 event.  Arrowhead, Woodlands, GSA, Sandstone, all of these places
were not available.  We have to start looking to the future for our sport if
we want to continue what we do.  That future is coming up with a site that is
either owned or leased by the club or KC Region that will be there when we
need it for any event that is scheduled.  This is the first time that I know
of since I have been with Crown and the Kansas City Region that we have had
to change dates more than once to find a site to hold that event.

    I hope that this has helped all to see that Frank and I are trying our
best to make sure that everyone has the best time that they can in this
sport.  The next local event here is the 29 at Arrowhead and this is a duel
event between us and Kansas Region.  This is a make up date for them, because
of the loss of a site.  I have been autocrossing since 94 and have always had
the opportunity to run at least 7 to 8 events with either club.  I would like
to be able to continue running that many events per club and will do my best
to keep it going.

Paul Poore
Secretary
Crown Autocross Club

PS.  I have lost Dennis Barry's e-mail address and a few others.  If anyone
notices that a specific person in the local area is missing place let them
know of the event site change.