Re: 15X6 wheels

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 15X6 wheels
From: Paul and Meredith Brown <racers@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:16:12 -0600
There is one aftermarket wheel out there.  Supposedly, anyway.  Volk makes
the TE-37 in a 15X6.  Amazingly light - the one I got ahold of was 9.5
pounds (weighed both on a cheap kitchen scale and an absurdly accurate
scientific scale since I didn't quite believe the kitchen scale).  They
come in 4 on 100, 5 on 4.5, and I think one other bolt pattern.  They are
available with either 45 or 37 mm offset.  The 45's would seem to be
perfect for an MR2 or a Type R, but unfortunately won't clear the front
calipers on either car within legal spacer limits.  Another 3mm, and we'd
be there....  The 15X7's I have on the rear of the MR2 are about 11 pounds
each.  That compares rather favorably with 19 pounds for the stockers!

Unfortunately, the importer is pretty flaky (not a good thing in this
situation) and it's not clear that the 37mm wheels have ever actually been
produced.  I'm still chasing that information for the new Miatas.  I think
this is the same wheel that would work on a new Civic Si.  They do make
lots of other sizes (14X5 is an interesting one - would have loved those
for the old CRX, and I have to think they'd be in the 6 to 7 pound range;
15X6.5, etc).  Unfortunately, they are in just a few bolt patterns as they
are made for the Japanese market.  Sure would be nice to get light 17"
wheels for the 968 guys.  Anyone know what the bolt pattern on a late BMW
is?

Paul and Meredith Brown

MR2:  "Not the easiest car in the world to work on"