Kumho Tires: Another Datapoint

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kumho Tires: Another Datapoint
From: Steve Couture <stevecouture@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:37:10 -0700 (PDT)
Kumho Tires: Another Datapoint

Vehicle:  Dodge Neon ACR Coupe
Alignment Front: 1/8" toe-in (yes toe-in) -2.4 degrees camber
Alignment Rear:  1/32" toe-in 0 degrees camber

Tire Size: 205-55-14
Purchased: April 1999 from the Tire Rack
Full Tread Depth
Tire Rack Heat Cycled

Tire pressure settings
Front: 42
Rear: 40
Both pressures set cold before competition and left alone from that point
on

Total number of runs before replacement: 125 (plus approximately 500 road
miles)

Number of runs brake down by surface:
Asphalt: 73
Sealed Asphalt: 28
Concrete: 24 (3 in the rain: BFG Cendiv #1 in Peru).

Tire condition at time of replacement:
 - One tire had match head size gouge hole showing cord, two barely
visible grooves, small flat spot (discarded)
 - One tire had single groove barely showing around circumference, small
flat spot (discarded)
 - Two tires still had visible dual grooves fully around the circumference
and would probably be usable for three to six more runs (these tires were
kept to use as just-in-case backups)

Usage Notes:
First 30 Asphalt runs were at the South Bend Region McKamey School.  Front
tires were swapped left to right in the middle of the day.  Front tires
showed scalloping accross tread, well worn around outside edge.  Rears
were as new.  The front tires were then used exclusively as rears up until
the halfway point of their life.  After each event, tires were rotated
left to right (LF to RF, RF to LF, RR to LR, LR to RR).  Following
approximately 65 runs (McKamey + 35) all four tires were flipped on the
rims (inside to outside).  From this point on the rotation method was an
X-pattern (LF to RR, RR to LF, RF to LR, LR to RF) following each and
every event.

Comments:
It seemed to take six to ten runs before the tires began to really work
(this is after the McKamey school with the the near virgin rear tires
being used as fronts for the first time in competitive events).  From that
point on, the tires were very competitive right up to the end of their
life and didn't seem to "fall-off" at all.  If anything they got better
with each run right to the end!  Tires seem to be "faster" (i.e. better
suited) to asphalt surfaces than concrete.  (Or it could simply be that I
as a driver am more comfortable competing on asphalt).

Overall Disclaimer:
This was my first ever new set of R-Tires used in my second season of
autocross competitiion.  I have no experience with other brands or sizes
other that a set of 205-55-14 BFG R1 road race take-offs that I used for
two events at the end of last season.  The tire life I experienced may or
may not be typical.  As always YMMV.

--
Steve Couture
Detroit Region SCCA