re : Porsche 911/996 question

To: gs96@sgi.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re : Porsche 911/996 question
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:56:08 EDT
"Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>

>> For you Porschefiles, can I get a 255x40x17 tire
on the front of a 1999  Porsche 911/996? It has
the 17" wheels but I don't know the width (the
stock tires are wussy 205x50s). <<

I think they are only a wimpy 7" rim, so a 255 is too big.
Mike Solomon tried the 245 Kumhos on his 993's 7"
fronts and preferred the 225s. The 245s were not bad though.
The 255/40 is much wider and is designed for a 9" rim.

>> A friend is letting me autox his 911 this fall and I
have a few 255x40 Kumhos I could throw on. I'm
not looking for optimal, just do-able. <<

MIGHT be doable but I would guess you would have some minor
rubbing. I would use those on the rear (would be perfect)
and get some smaller fronts.

>> I'm hoping its a dog so I don't have to figure
out ways to mortgage the house, sell the cars,
sell the puppies............... <<

Shall I call Century 21 for you now? It should be as fast
as your ESP car(s?) just by putting the right tires on it.
Also crank in some negative camber in front, takes about
5 minutes to slide the strut tops inwards (castor is not adjustable).
Of course this will change toe a bit. They are set up to plow
a lot stock with little front tires and no negative camber.

Y2K = Yes to Kumho ??

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

www.analogman.com/911 - my racing pages

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com