Change over from BFG R1 to Kuhmo V700

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Change over from BFG R1 to Kuhmo V700
From: Tony Kern <armand@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:19:57 -0400
With five events left in the regional season, I opted to get a set of
Kuhmo V700's for my C Stock 93 MR2. Last year's R1's are worn to about
2/32nds or less and feel as if they're going away. Next event (Labor
Day) will be on the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point Raceway in West
Virginia (sorry it's full with a waiting list).

Course length will be 9/10's of a mile w/elevation changes; bound to be
at least one or two slaloms on the straights, my horsepower impaired MR2
will reach 80 on the back straight at fuel cut.

Wondering if I can squeak this event out on the BFG's or move over to
the K tire.
If I do, what tire pressures are suggested, I know this tire is entirely
different from the R1. I picked up the fronts (205/50x15) from a fellow
SCCA road racer; they started life shaved and were only run for
qualifying at Watkins Glen (SSC Nissan 200SX). One tire barely shows
tread pattern and is smooth as a baby's butt (maybe 3/32 tread depth),
the other has slightly more tread depth and has a 'pebbly' finish.

The rear tires (225/50x15) just arrived 2day from Tire Rack (shaved);
the UPS driver asked why people bought "old tires" :).

Now should I try to get these tires set up with a nice 65 mph 100 mile
cruise on the interstate with a minimum of 24 hr sleep before the event?

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Tony