Re: nopi nationals autocross questions

To: SoloChair@aol.com, solo2atlanta@ilist.net
Subject: Re: nopi nationals autocross questions
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:10:52 +0000

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:26:08 EDT SoloChair@aol.com writes:
> Ben,
>
> I got your name from GRM.  My name is Chang Ho Kim, I am the Solo II
> Chairman
> in New England Region.
> I am interested in attending the Autocross at the NopiNationals on
> September
> 18-19.

Great! I hope you can make it!!

> I have several questions.
> What classes are they offering?

We're running all SCCA classes including ST, STR and STU. However, we are
gouping all those classes into 5 combined groups and using a distance
handicapping system based on the RTP index (because it includes the ST
classes) to calculate the setbacks for the faster class. I'm going to
attach a Word file with a copy of our Supps that will answer most of your
questions.

> How far away is the closest hotel or campground that I may have a
> chance of
> getting into?

Motels and campgrounds are all within several miles. I believe you can
camp at AMS, also.

> Is there a registration form online somewhere?  I found the one for
> the show,
> is it the same form?

Yes, you may use that one. There is a checkbox for the Autocross.

We look forward to seeing you here!! See the Supps below:

NOPI National AUTO-X Tournament I

 What is an Auto-X Tournament?

An Auto-X Tournament differs from a standard autocross (Solo II) in that
cars compete against one another in head-to-head matches rather than
against the clock. The two cars in a match start halfway around the
course from each other and compete through the whole course to see who
gets back to his/her own finish line first. Both finish lines are aligned
to clearly show who wins.

Tournament Brackets

The event is a double-elimination tournament. All competitors will be
grouped into one of 5 brackets. Each competitor will remain in the
tournament until he/she loses two matches.

Brackets

NOPI pays a purse for each of 5 brackets. We will be setting up those
brackets based on the actual entries to the event. Below find the
preliminary brackets (Subject to change based on actual entries):

1. DS, GS, HS, ES, ST
2. STU, DSP, STR, BS, CS
3. BSP, SS, ESP, AS, FS
4. AP, BP, EP, Fjr., DP, CP, ASP, CSP
5. AM, BM, F125, CM, EM, FM, DM

Competitive Handicapping

We are using a distance handicapping system based on the RTP (Racer's
Theoretical Performance) Index. A car from a faster indexed class will
start a calculated distance (plotted on a spreadsheet) back from the
start line to help to equalize competition.

Prize Money

NOPI pays prize money in each of the 5 brackets:
· First place $350 and a set of  4 Toyo tires plus $500 if you win with
Toyo tires on the car.
· Second place $150 plus products

TheNOPI National Champion (Overall) will receive additional products to
be determined before the event.
Practice
Saturday will be a practice day. Everyone will get at least two practice
laps, one from each start lane. Cars will be run two at a time during
practice just like in the tournament. Each Bracket will get at least a
One-Hour practice session.

Auto-X Tournament Rules

Working - Each competitor will be given a work assignment and are
required to work to compete.

Entries per car - There will be a maximum of 2 entries per car.

Entries per driver - Each driver may enter the Auto-X  Tournament only
once.

Order of running - The brackets will run in numerical order. Each bracket
will complete its entire competition and determine the winner for that
bracket before the next bracket runs.

NOPI National Champion Bracket - 8 Competitors. The winners of the 5
brackets will automatically qualify for the final bracket to determine
the NOPI National Champion for the event. The 5 runners-up will have a
drawing. The winner of the drawing will automatically be in the final
bracket. The other 4 runners-up will have a single elimination bracket to
determine the last two slots. Depending on time available, the final
bracket will be either double or single elimination.

Pairings and Lane Choice - Each match and lane assignment will be
established by event officials. When your bracket is competing, drivers
shall stay with their cars, in grid, and be ready to be called to the
start at any time.

The Start - After both cars are lined up at their start lines, the
starter will point to each competitor. Nod big or wave if you are ready.
When the start light goes on, start your run.

The WINNER - will be the first car back to its own finish line. Two
judges must agree, without consultation, which car arrives back first
(except in the case of DNFs or cones hit). If the match is too close to
call the match will be rerun from opposite lanes.

Cones - If any cones are hit during a match the competitor that hits the
fewest cones wins.

DNFs - DNFs lose. If both drivers DNF in a match, the worst DNF loses. If
both DNF's are equal the match will be rerun.

5 Ways to DNF - (Listed in order of importance)

1. Passing the other car is a DNF, unless a course worker waves you on.
2. Not Running Missing a match is a DNF for that match (except for Byes).
3. Not Finishing failing to finish your run.
4. Jumping the Start The Starter and Judges will determine if you start
before the start light goes on.
5. Going Off Course or missing part of the course.

Byes - There may be times you have no opponent for a match. You may run
or not and still advance. It is your choice. But you must tell the grid
official(s) what you want to do.

Co-Drivers in same match - If co-drivers are matched to run against each
other a timer will be used to determine the winner. Co-drivers will be
bracketed to limit such matches.

Protests - Protests will be handled according to the 1999 SCCA Solo rules
except that the protest fees are doubled.

-